Friday, November 13, 2009

Philosophy

Romans 1:21-23
Because that, when they knew God, they glorified [him] not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

I'm a philosophical person. Philosophy fascinates me. So I'd like to share my thoughts on this and speak of man's philosophy compared to the wisdom found in the Bible. I've spoken of this before, in my dA journal back before I gave up dA.
God gave man a wonderful thing: a brain. Our brains can solve problems, memorize the movements required to perform an action, give us a built-in "alarm clock", and of course keep our entire body functioning. The brain is an amazing thing, as is everything God has created if you ask me. God gave man what we need to function and live in this world.
What I find odd is that man tries to assume that he can outthink God, that he knows better than the Being that created the entire universe. I've seen people say that they refuse to serve or worship a God that they feel has not followed morals. I've seen people say that we don't need God anymore. While people must choose for themselves, my thoughts in response to such a statement is along the lines of "Okay, if we don't need God let me see you create an entire universe out of nothing in just six days."
I've shared my thoughts on this with my dad about this, and I agree with his response--that Dr. Kent Hovind says it best. I can't give a direct quote of Dr. Hovind's statement because I haven't taken the time to memorize it word for word, but it goes something like this:
Let me ask you if you know everything. The honest answer of course would be no. Let me ask you if you know half of everything. The honest answer to that would be no as well. But, for the sake of argument, let's say that you know half of everything. Is it possible that God exists and is truly in control in the half that you don't know? Think about that one.

Also, more thoughts I've had, and please don't get me wrong:
It has been said by a few people I've known that it doesn't seem logical to trust someone else because anyone can lie to you. That it seems that everyone just needs to think for themselves. So they basically concluded, "Why trust God?"
I'd like to point out that God made us so that He can enjoy us and so that we can enjoy Him. Think about this now. For the sake of argument, if you were able to make a creature that could worship you, would not the worship mean more if the creature worshipped you despite that it didn't seem logical to him to trust you blindly?
Human nature has a desire to trust someone else. Well, in all honesty people in general are just not trust-worthy what with their sin nature and all. However, we can trust God. How do we know? He gives us assurance and let me tell you, I Am's assurance is much more assuring that man's assurance. (If you didn't already know, I Am is one of God's names.) Yes, we do take it by faith. Not everything can be rationalized. While I do very much see the logic in not puting your full trust in anyone, I've found that it's just such a relief to have Someone that you can depend on, Who does not get overwhelmed at all of the the confusion and lies of the world out there. Who really does know what He is doing.

Now, let me say I've never taken a college philosophy course. I'm not old enough for one. And two I don't plan on taking one. But from what I have seen and from what I've been told, the philosophy there is twisted, used to turn people away from God rather than to honestly look at something from all angles. In my opinion, if you're honestly looking at all sides, you'll consider seriously that perhaps there are things out there that man's reason cannot comprehend, that there are principles that our minds--amazing though they are, just cannot fathom.


Ecclesiastes 8:8
There is no man that hath power over the spirit to retain the spirit; neither hath he power in the day of death: and there is no discharge in that war; neither shall wickedness deliver those who are given to it.

Ecclesiastes 8:1
WHO is as the wise man? and who knoweth the interpretation of a thing? a man's wisdom maketh his face to shine, and the boldness of his face shall be changed.

ETA:
And just for fun, here's a picture I drew last night even though Thanksgiving is still two weeks away:

No comments: